Thursday 4 December 2008

fluff

Scene shifts to the next day, in the hustle and bustle of the market

Vendor Fresh fruit! Get your fresh fruit! Red apples and blue berries. White grapes and dark cherries! Buy and try and then buy some more!

Gordo Another Cherrie to pop in my mouth my good sir. A ravenous appetite I have for the things, with their sweet juices in my mouth

Vendor Might you not buy a bunch, rather than a mere morsel at a time

Gordo Ah, but who savours that which is plentiful? It is only through scant rarities that we derive true pleasure. To the parched throat brackish water might taste of sweet nectar. Only to the starving slave does crusty bread seem a meal fit for a king

Beck enters, having overheard this exchange

Beck And only to lonely hearts does cupid’s arrow strike true

Gordo Good morrow my friend, true words be your first this day. Hence my desire to be a moving target, not tied down by any individual affection

Beck And perhaps Cupid might find your heart too small a target for his milky filmed eyes to perceive

Gordo Many other foolish lovers fall afoul of his failing sights. Lovers’ quarrels rise as Cupids quiver lies empty and spent of spite

Beck Ha, the more I hear you speak of him, the more of him I see in you. And was your own spiteful love well spent last night? Any grim satisfaction to be had by the tainting of that young maids clear blue eyes?

Gordo I suspect I am not the first to dip a toe into those shallow depths, though a tasty dish she proved to be. Yet I already feel my appetite coming back to me

Beck How fitting a man who didn’t know his father would end up trying father so many

Gordo Hardly, I left my lady with the gift I leave them all. Red snare herbs. If she makes and drinks the tea no child will she be burdened with.

Beck And if she doesn’t?

Gordo Then I wash my hands of her. The letter I left made clear my intent. No true son am I and no true father I could be.

Beck Quite the romantic, aren’t you

Gordo And quite the son are you. Tell me, has you father found out about his empty breeches where you pursued his purse for gambling purpose.

Beck I have yet borrowed time to pay my borrowed debts. He is out of town on urgent business, leaving us free to reclaim and redeem from this unseemly scene

Gordo But how to go about such a venture? Perhaps with more funds and more cards

Beck No! through honest labour shall we recompense.

Gordo Very well, let us flee and seek some truthful work. Quickly though, for the sun slows for none.

Gordo exits hastily


Beck Strange he be so eager

Vendor What! That swine has made off with my wares! I trust you shall pay his fare !

Beck Tch! I shall good sir…let me just seek coins, in my other breeches!

Beck runs after Gordo. End scene

No comments: