Thursday 30 October 2008

running out of steam

Scene shifts to a tavern, within the city centre

Narrator Look now all, upon this place of ill repute. Shady dealings are dealt here, with cards and with lives. The beer flows through the night and past the day, here where men pass their present and share their troubled pasts. Welcome to The Split.

Gordo Drinks to this table serving girl, so I might drink to your beauty. It is a miracle indeed that a rose like you can bloom in such a dismal place.

Narrator The man with all the pretty words is Gordo, known throughout for his charm and quick wit. A smile is ready on his lips and lady fortune seems to smile back, along with countless other ladies.

Beck Slow down my friend. Let us not fug our heads whilst we lose our money in foolish bets. An admirable poker face you have, but does no good when you hold your hand backwards.

Narrator His closest and oldest friend, Beck and Gordo are quite the double act. What Beck says about a poker face is true, for he knows of the deep wrestles rage that hides within that easy smile


Gordo Not to worry my boon companion, five hearts I have, and with that I shall win back all.

The other players at the table fold. Beck slaps his head in vexation

Gordo Well, what say you Beck. Are you in, or mere chickin?

Beck Fool! We play for the same cause and with the same money, most of which is mine. Half of which my fathers.

Gordo Pah, the further we can get from fathers the better.

The serving girl returns and smiles at Gordo

Girl There you are my lord

Gordo Thank you, my lady. Rest assured, though you serve me this drink, I would serve you forever

The girl smiles and blushes before walking away, casting her eyes back every now and then

Beck I trust she realises that when you say serve her you mean service her.

Gordo I’m sure she shall get the point. She may even understand what I mean as well. Now back to the game! Let us rob these men of all in their pockets, and then of their pockets as well.

Narrator Gamely they play, and gamely Gordo loses. Finally fate smiles at him and he is given a hand that can win all. And so bet all he does. Even Becks share becomes ensnared.

Beck Fortune best favour this small fortune you wager, Gordo!

Gordo Courage my friend! And doubtless none here have the courage to match and to call. Like the mute swan, all they may do is hiss with regal redress.

Narrator And true enough, the players do fold and do curse. Yet one among them does not, a figure shrouded by silence and shadows. Weathered hands toss a leather pouch into the fray, and Gordo feels himself being stared down by unseen eyes.

Gordo Very well oh ghost of the corner. Let us lay ourselves bare, with truth in our hands and hearts on our sleeves. Behold and bemoan! Four kings do stab at thee.

The crowd gasp and more than one man is glad he folded. Gordo goes to take the money, grinning. But the leathery hand settles on his.

Stranger Haste makes not grace, young one. The kings stab in vain. Though they think the highest of themselves, we all know the truth.

Gordo No!

The stranger shows his hand and people clap theirs

Stranger Above them lie some. Four aces shield me.

Gordo My wealth!

Beck Fathers wealth! No honour shall I bring home, nor love receive!

Stranger Foolish to put your faith in kings. They are fools themselves. Look upon the lord of hearts. No closer I say!

Gordo He…he stabs himself.

Stranger Aye, showing him the wisest of the four. Think on that, as I take my leave.

Stranger exits

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nay! Break out yon bags! Shovel the coal!

*jemima* said...

Leave it alone! Its amazing!
And no coal either. The dust makes me cough.

Anonymous said...

I was referring to his ebbing reserves of steam, thereby suggesting we shovel combustible materials in a bid to keep him going.