Monday 3 November 2008

Pretending Pretensions

Got to write a collum for journalism, which means acting like i care about "important" stuff. current political thinking among friends is obama is sooooooo gonna get assasinated. anyhoo...

S.S.D.D

Did you know that there’s an American election on? You did! Well now, how about that. And I thought I was the only one.

Actually, you’d be hard pressed to find someone that didn’t know about the election right now, which is slightly odd, given that it’s taking place some five thousand miles away. Ah but then there is our “special relationship” to consider. And of course, I’m afraid to say but our transatlantic companions do tend to put on more of a show. After all, this is history in the making. A black president? A female vice president? Either way this election goes, things will be different forever. And indeed, as things currently stand, Barrack Obama is certainly looking the stronger contender. Change we can believe in, so the slogan goes.

Except I’m not exactly rejoicing. After all, though certainly interested, I’ve never had the urge to be politically active. Perhaps youthful apathy, or plain ignorance and laziness are to blame, but personally I don’t much like the notion of my ideals being politicized. They are too complex a thing, formed from unique experiences, to be put into either catchy slogans, or general policies.

And also, I’m sorry to say, but things in my eyes seem very much similar between the two camps. I’ve watched all the presidential debates, and true Obama is quite the orator. But he answers questions in very much the same way McCain does. When either is accused of something, the say something along the lines of “simply untrue” and then makes a counter accusations, without really explaining why it’s untrue. They both rely on rhetoric to turn a difficult question either towards an issue they are comfortable with, or an attack on their opponent.

Then there was the whole thing about the election turning nasty. Harsh words were thrown about and pointless accusations made. Regardless of what they say, or even who fired the first shot, it was clear that both parties were investing time, effort and money into smearing their opponents.

Even their policies seem similar. Both Barack and McCain admit that drastic steps need to be taken in order to stabilise the economy, which of course means tax raises. Both admit that the war on Iraq is not going well, and that U.S troops need to be withdrawn. And both are staunch defenders of Israel, and hostile towards Iran. The staunchest of republicans admit that climate change is now a serious issue that needs to be addressed. While the most liberal of democrats concede that drug abuse is not being dealt with effectively.

There is one person, in my mind who has stood out from the herd of public pandering politicians. Ron Paul. There has been just as much booing as cheering that has accompanied his speaking. In my opinion the booing is good. It shows that he is sticking to his guns and not trying to appeal to everyone, which would inevitably mean disappointment for some. I was frankly amazed when I saw him stand up and say that maybe, just maybe the reason the Middle East hates America is because they keep bombing them and establishing bases there.

He really made a name for himself at this years Republican nominee debates, accusing the party of ignoring the constitution and “losing its way”. The debate, which was broadcast live, had a phone in poll for people to vote who they think won out of all the candidates. Ron Paul came first, with 26%. John McCain came last, with 2%. Hosted by the fair and impartial Fox News, the poll was later deemed flawed.

I also respect his stance on abortion. Personally I have always kept away from this issue, seeing it as something I have no right to have an opinion on. As the pro-choice side say, it isn’t my body. Paul however, as well as being a congressman is also a physician, Obstetrician and Gynecologist, and has done much of his work pro bono. Records show that he has in fact delivered well over a thousand babies, as well as having observed numerous hysterectomies and abortions. He, unlike many, has earned the right to an opinion on the issue.

Certainly it would be fair to say that a few of Congressman Paul’s policies seem slightly radical. Going back to the gold standard, despite the reasonable logic behind it (gold being after all, effectively immune to inflation) seems enormously impractical, and Pauls non interventional policies would most likely mean withdrawal from NATO, resulting in a huge power gulf and a scramble to fill it. Less than ideal of global stability.

Yet the more I hear from him, the more I like him. He is a breath of fresh air, an honest man in the fickle world of politics. I’ve never voted in my life before (again, youthful apathy) and I’m American or have even been there. But if I could have, I would vote for Congressman Ron Paul.
.


Word count 828

Recommended for The Times

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You missed out the not in I'm American.

Thing is either way you get no real change. You get a black man who is hardly all that black or a vice president who is female but doesn't even know what her job is. In democracies these days there is little radical change anymore so I always choose the guy with a sense of humour and a heap of charisma.

And while it was a rather good journalistic read you do not vote. SHAME.

Did you know McCain was ridiculously handsome when he was younger? It's disturbingly true.

rob k said...

yeah, saw that in the print out. cue hasty addition.

McCain does look like a ridiculously old brad pitt, shrinking in his suit

BlueRing said...

ahaha old brad pitt.
I think young people shouldn't vote. Half of them have no clue who or why they're voting, so in the end they pick for not such good political reasons.
I like this article, if it can be called that. I was bored when I was listening to their election speech rambles becuse of what you said, so I decided to turn off the TV rather than sit and listen to two idiots trying to make a good name/image for themselves. Not a good waste of time.
oh and yes we said that the KKK people or someone is most likely going to kill him. That would be just way to much of a change in my opinion.

~BlueRing

Anonymous said...

Pah! Everyone should vote that can and they should take the time to think about who they want to vote for. Not in stupid daft pointless elections but definitely the big ones. The important thing is to ignore all speeches because they are almost always empty and look at the actual policies.

I feel some sort of obligation being female to do so. I mean people died for me to tick a box. The least I can do is give the Green party the sympathy vote.

BlueRing said...

But do you think it wise for some dumb teen who doesn't know the difference between one party or the other to vote? even if they're voting for someone who will actually bring horrid new laws and 'changes'? I rather those kind of teens don't vote because I want smart people to pick the better candidate based on real arguments, not because one sounds better than the other.
But yes, I get what you're saying, in a way.

Anonymous said...

Whereas in my case no-one died to secure me the vote. *Cracks knuckles* yup, just stayin' at home, puttin' my feet up while Catherine trudges through the rain to the polls because of her MORAL OBLIGATION that demands she do it.

Nah, Green Party all the way. Even if they ARE the same colour as my mortal enemy. *grrrrrrlookingatyouCatherinegrrrrrrrrr*.

Anonymous said...

You are arguing that only clever informed people should be allowed to vote. While this is ideal it is elitist and (if we ignore Plato's Republic for a moment) undemocratic. Half of adults have no clue who or why they're voting as well.

http://www.qwantz.com/archive/001339.html

Dinosaurs fight my battles for me. They are also green but try not to hate them, Some guy.

rob k said...

I KNEW you'd link that
you crazy racist you

Anyhoo, the point is that (t)ron paul is awesome. lets not loose sight of that

Anonymous said...

It is the hardest racism not to be.

And bleh ron paul. All the crazies love him. I assume. From popular culture references. His name is not as fun as obama to say.

obamaramallamawamadingdong